Wednesday, May 22, 2024

We Were Fighting Illini... Now we are Hoosiers

 The drive was an uneventful one, but long again.

We followed that big rig right into Illinois.

Carol drove the last leg of the trip, and pulled us into our site for the first time. Its fun playing games with the rain, we won again, so I thought.
We beat the rain, big deal, it found us. I had a 2"x12" under the steps, the water almost covered it over.

These are the only pictures you will see for Granite City, IL, that's cuz I took them.

While we were setting up, I stepped into the men's room and Carol was taking her usual photos... so I thought. I came out of the men's room and found her sitting on the ground because she slipped on some mud near the site. The resultant injury appeared to be tendon/ligament strain to her foot. With ice, partial immobility, and bed rest, it appears to have gotten better, but it will take some time to heal. This type of injury is going to take several weeks to fully heal. I did not let it stop me from seeing the sights. I found Walgreens, Walmart, and a couple of gas stations.

We'll be back when we get to Indiana; we're only staying for a few days.

I will say one thing about the sign... its new. I wish I could say the same about I-70. I would like to say it was an uneventful long drive... but I would have to lie and say I was asleep at the wheel,,. I felt every jar of the body. 

Right out of the gate we had our first issue, neither of us checked to ensure that the refrigerator/freezer was properly secured for the trip. When Carol remembered that she didn't check the frig, she asked me if I checked the frig. I found a place to get off the highway and check the frig. I opened the door and lowered the stairs, and there it was... frozen food everywhere; I put it back and properly secured the refrigerator. At this point we got back on the road, and drove a short distance deciding to stop for lunch. After lunch Carol climbed in the back seat so she could rest her leg. Tooling down the road we pulled into another truck stop to get some ice for Carol's foot. We still hadn't made it to the border.

The truth of the matter was still simple... stinky highways through Illinois to the Indiana border, and to Richmond, IN. 

Let me start with the border, one of many spots of construction with lane restrictions. We barely got into Indiana when a warning light and noise filled the cabin... it was the low tire pressure alert... GREAT. As I was driving I watched my tire continuing to loose air pressure; I managed to get us to a truck stop, and get parked.

I apparently parked the truck just right, and was able to see my problem...
ON TOP OF THE TIRE

This item was collected from the roadside in that construction area. For the DIY person, it is a recognizable item... a screw-in drywall anchor; fortunately it was not hollow, or the tire would have flattened quicker. Anyway, I called a tire service guy, and he showed up to change the tire, and only cost a mere $125.00. With the flat changed out, we were on the road again. 

While driving I was thinking about all the other highways missing pot holes, ruts, and bumps, then I realized that they were not missing, they were shipped off for use on Indiana's I-70.  I am going to contain all my excitement and tell you we made it into Richmond, somewhere around 6pm. We started out at 9:30 this morning.

This KOA is a nice one, partially because it is considered a Holiday, vice Journey. The difference between the two is usually the amount of family activities available. These KOAs with outdoor pools don't open them up until Memorial Day weekend, no different here. Like I said earlier, this is only a two day stop, and we're going to give Carol's foot more time to recuperate, then off to Pennsylvania.

This is one of the shortest posts I've written so far.



No comments:

Post a Comment